Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Printing Again!!!



Now that my brothers wedding is over and I have caught up on things that fell to the side, I have had some time to start printing again.  Since I was having some trouble with PLA before and some luck with ABS I thought I would work with the ABS for a while and see how things were working before trying to figure the PLA out.  The part I tested on was something I have been thinking about since I got my new Droid X.  The speaker is on the back and it does not carry the sound to the front very well, also I thought it would be nice to have a stand for it.  So I designed a dual purpose stand/sound director. (my first useful, non-reprap related, design.)

Here you can see the inlet hole for the sound (lower left)
A test print to check the fit on the phone (you can see the sound path)
24min 40sec to print
My first test print (slot for phone was too small and I had a de-lamination toward the bottom)

As you can see I am currently printing very well with ABS.  I could tune it in a little better but I am pleased with the results (especially with no heated bed...)

I think I may print a few more parts with ABS then go back to PLA and see if I can work out the bugs.

4 comments:

  1. Are you running the reprap host software?

    I just finished building mine and all I have is ABS to print with. What settings are you using to print the ABS?

    -Avery

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am using RepSnapper to slice and control my printer. For ABS I was running around 230-240C. (But I think my thermistor is off...) For layer thickness, extruded width, and feed speed it depends on your extruder and heater.

    -Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. What firmware are you running on your Mobo and extruder controller?
    Im currently running the reprap stock stuff. I find it a bit lacking.
    Im thinking of going to the makerbot/replicatorG firmware host software combo. Now that it supports stepper drive extruders and there is some documentation on do that.

    -Avery

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am using official RepRap (an older version) with some minor tweaks from my friends at Metrix Create: Space.

    ReplyDelete