Once I had it wrapped I used a high quality contact thermometer to check the brass temperature. The computer and the thermometer matched at both the tip and the base of the brass.
I then proceeded to hook it to the extruder and try to extrude PLA. It still seemed to have a lot of back pressure. I read some online and discovered some people have been using oil to lubricate the filament. I tried this and it seemed to help, so I started a test print only to have the brass pushed out of the PTFE again...
I may have damaged the PTFE to much the first time it slipped out. I have discovered a few things and have some plans for going forward.
- Wade's Extruder can easily put out more torque than the heater can handle.
- I was somewhat lucky with my first heater.
- I need to be much more careful testing heaters to ensure I don't continue pushing with excess pressure.
- I want to get PTFE and brass rod so I can make more parts myself.
I hope to be printing again soon...