I had my first major problem with my extruder. I had been having strange flow problems. As I tried to diagnose this I noticed that I had some PLA leakage and then suddenly my nozzle was jamming into my build plate!! Upon closer examination the nozzle had slipped out about 0.25"!!!
After taking it all apart there was a large blob of PLA stuck in the insulator.
I was never very happy with how close the nichrome had to be to the insulator and have read several articles about alternative methods of holding the heater to the nozzle. So I thought I would try an alternative with a T-nut and a brace. Here are some pictures of this experiment.
I still am not happy with how short the heater section is and do not like how hot the plate and the screws up to the extruder get. So rather than continue to struggle with this design I bought a new nozzle set (from reifsnyderb) and am going back to a more traditional design for now.
For now I am out of commission but hope to have it all back together soon and start printing again.